Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Look Ma, I blog!

First of all, I take issue with the degeneration of the word "weblog" into "blog," which has in turn devolved into a noun and a verb. I know it's cutesy, but come on people, get creative.

Anyway, I've yet to encounter anything sufficiently interesting (though I'm sure riveting updates on shoes and food and who's-annoying-me-today are fast approaching), so here's a collection of the web junk that has kept me off task in college thusfar:

  • FreeRice is the best way to waste your time; grammar nerds and hippies alike rejoice (which is awesome because I'm both). You match the vocab word they supply with the correct synonym, and for every right answer, the UN donates 10 grains of rice to a country in need. If you need some excuse for playing computer games until 2 in the morning on a Tuesday, this is it.

  • Credit goes to Patrick St.Michel for finding this glorious example of why the internet is the best thing ever. Back by popular demand, some guy has rigged up his Christmas lights so you can switch them on and off to your sedentary little heart's content for one minute. I think this captures the essence of the holiday even better than A Christmas Carol.

  • I'll admit that Blackle is probably a wholly ineffective stab at limiting energy expenditures, but I embrace its gimmicky goodness because, well, it's trendier-looking than Google. Plus it intrigues the annoying kids who stare at my laptop during lectures, so it's at least more interesting than campaign finance reform.

  • And lastly, Jon Stewart tears Paul Begala a new one.

Hope this distracted someone else from productivity as effectively as it distracted me!

xo

Oh, and for the record, the title of this entry is not me cashing in on a terrible cliche. My mother is currently my readership. Thanks for doing my laundry over Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

generic blogs are dead; cheese blog is the future